[Infowarrior] - Senators Introduce Comprehensive Cybersecurity Legislation

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Apr 1 17:30:24 UTC 2009

Boy, I wish this was an April Fools' joke........looking @ the draft
language, it's mostly same stuff different year.

For Immediate Release

04/01/09

Contact: 	Jena Longo - Democratic Deputy Communications Director
202.224.7824

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=bb7223ef-1d78-4de4-b1d5-4cf54fc38662&Month=4&Year=2009

Chairman Rockefeller and Senator Snowe Introduce Comprehensive
Cybersecurity Legislation

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV, Chairman of
the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation and
Senator Olympia Snowe (R-ME) today announced the introduction of
comprehensive cybersecurity legislation to address our nation’s
vulnerability to cyber crime, global cyber espionage, and cyber
attacks that could potentially cripple the United States’ critical
infrastructure.

Currently, the U.S. has systems in place to protect our nation’s
secrets and our government networks against cyber espionage, and it is
imperative that those cyber defenses keep up with our enemies’ cyber
capabilities.  However, another great vulnerability our country faces
is the threat to our private sector critical infrastructure–banking,
utilities, air/rail/auto traffic control, telecommunications–from
disruptive cyber attacks that could literally shut down our way of life.

“We must protect our critical infrastructure at all costs – from our
water to our electricity, to banking, traffic lights and electronic
health records – the list goes on.  It’s an understatement to say that
cybersecurity is one of the most important issues we face; the
increasingly connected nature of our lives only amplifies our
vulnerability to cyber attacks and we must act now.” said Senator
Rockefeller.

Senator Rockefeller went on to say, ”As a member of the Senate
Intelligence Committee, I know the threats we face.  Our enemies are
real, they are sophisticated, they are determined and they will not
rest.  I believe Congress must bring new high-level governmental
attention to develop a fully integrated, thoroughly coordinated,
public-private partnership to our cybersecurity efforts in the 21st
century.”

“America’s vulnerability to massive cyber crime, global cyber
espionage, and cyber attacks has emerged as one of the most urgent
national security problems facing our country today” said Senator
Snowe. “The Rockefeller-Snowe initiative will carve a course for our
country to embrace a 21st century national security policy that will
protect and preserve American cyberspace.  Uniquely designed to
establish a fully integrated public-private partnership to coordinate
cyber security efforts, this legislation will ensure we have many of
the tools to target, isolate and effectively combat cyber-attacks in
America.  Importantly, this legislation loosely parallels the
recommendations in the CSIS blue-ribbon panel report to President
Obama and has been embraced by a number of industry and government
thought leaders.”

Snowe added, “Our failure to implement effective policies and
procedures to protect critical infrastructure, prevent invasive
intrusion and conduct an aggressive threat assessment has proven
extremely consequential, putting the American information system at
grave risk.  It is abundantly clear we must unite on all fronts to
confront this monumental challenge, if we fail to take swift action,
we, regrettably, risk a cyber-Katrina.”

KEY PROVISIONS OF COMPREHENSIVE CYBERSECURITY LEGISLATION:

• Significantly raising the profile of cybersecurity within the
Federal government and streamlining cyber-related government functions
and authorities.

• Promoting public awareness and protecting civil liberties.

• Remaking the relationship between government and the private sector
on cybersecurity.

• Fostering innovation and creativity in cybersecurity to develop long-
term solutions.

An important component of this legislation is to establish the Office
of the National Cybersecurity Advisor within the Executive Office of
the President.  The National Cybersecurity Advisor will lead this
office and report directly to the President.  The Advisor will serve
as the lead official on all cyber matters, coordinating with the
intelligence community, as well as the civilian agencies.

###