[Infowarrior] - Video: Beware the Exaflood!

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Nov 25 13:04:36 UTC 2008

I just watched the new ATT Front Group video about the need for
bandwidth safety mentioned in the article previously posted to
infowarrior-l.  [1]

Here's a direct link to the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVnH5D-lWrA

Note they use famed 'Frontline' narrator (and BMW commercial voice-
over guy) Will Lyman to make it sound even more serious and ominous.
Aside from the "wise public policy" mention toward the end, I think
the best quote of this video is the spooky-sounding  "The impending
Exaflood is cause for excitement: if America is prepared for it."

Frankly I'm surprised they didn't title this video:  "Exaflood
determined to Attack the United States" and work in a statement along
the lines of "...if the Internet dies at 3AM, who is prepared to take
the call?"  I swear this thing has a "9/11-be-very-afraid" feel to it
and reminds me of that over-the-top Air Force Cyber Command recruiting
video last year [2].    After all, it's fear that sells policy in
Washington.

The Exaflood.  Because YouTube doesn't sound scary enough.[3]

-rf

[1] Original Article at

[2] Video at: http://www.infowarrior.org/users/rforno/USAF-CC-Promo.flv

[3] - Yes, I think bandwidth concerns are valid and need to be
addressed objectively for all involved -- however, I challenge the
sensationally-spooky tactics used in conveying the message here.