[Infowarrior] - How The BSA Misleads With Piracy Stats

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Jul 20 22:57:25 UTC 2008

A Detailed Explanation Of How The BSA Misleads With Piracy Stats
from the and-on-and-on-it-goes dept

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080718/1226541724.shtml

A couple months ago, when the Business Software Alliance (BSA)
released its latest stats on "piracy," it's VP of anti-piracy, Neil
MacBride, gave me a call to discuss my earlier complaints about the
organizations methodology. Needless to say, we did not see eye-to-eye,
and the phone call did little to resolve our differences. I'm still
hopeful that eventually the BSA will recognize that it's doing more
damage to its own position by publishing obviously bogus numbers. So,
with the organization releasing another bogus stat today, it's time to
explain why it's wrong and misleading.

Today's report is an attempt to get the government involved in
protecting BSA member companies' business model, by claiming that the
US is losing out on $1.7 billion in tax revenue due to "pirated"
software. And, of course, it comes with a lovely quote from Mr.
MacBride: "The most tragic aspect is that the lost revenues to tech
companies and local governments could be supporting thousands of good
jobs and much-needed social services in our communities." And the BSA
is even so kind as to quantify what that (not really) lost tax revenue
could do: "For example, the lost tax revenues to state and local
governments -- an estimated $1.7 billion -- would have been enough to
build 100 middle schools or 10,831 affordable housing units; hire
24,395 experienced police officers; or purchase 6,335 propane-powered
transit buses to reduce greenhouse gas emissions."

Except that this is almost entirely incorrect and it's relatively easy
to show why:

    1. The report counts every unauthorized piece of software as a
lost sale. You have to dig through separate PDFs to find this info,
but when you finally get to the methodology it states:

           The software losses are based on the piracy rate and equal
the value of software installed not paid for.

       That's a huge, and obviously incorrect assumption. Many of the
folks using the software likely would not have paid for it otherwise,
or would have used cheaper or open source options instead.
    2. The report makes no effort to count the positive impact of
unauthorized use of software in leading to future software sales. This
is something that even Microsoft has admitted has helped the company
grow over time. But according to the BSA's report, this doesn't matter.
    3. The report also proudly notes: "Software piracy also has ripple
effects in local communities." However, "ripple effects" are easily
disproved as double or triple counting the same dollar. Using ripple
effects like that inflates the final number by two or three times. In
the link here, Tim Lee explains this (in reference to an MPAA study
done by IPI, but it applies here to the BSA study done by IDC as well):

           If a foreigner gives me $1, and I turn around and buy an
apple from you for a dollar, and then you turn around and buy an
orange from another friend for a dollar, we haven't thereby increased
our national wealth by $3. At the beginning of the sequence, we have
an apple and an orange. At the end, we have an apple, an orange, and a
dollar. Difference: one dollar. No matter how many times that dollar
changes hands, there's still only one dollar that wasn't there before.

           Yet in IPI-land, when a movie studio makes $10 selling a
DVD to a Canadian, and then gives $7 to the company that manufactured
the DVD and $2 to the guy who shipped it to Canada, society has
benefited by $10+$7+$2=$19. Yet some simple math shows that this is
nonsense: the studio is $1 richer, the trucker is $2, and the
manufacturer is $7. Shockingly enough, that adds up to $10. What each
participant cares about is his profits, not his revenues.

       This is a huge fallacy that the BSA an IDC refuse to
acknowledge. When I discussed it with them in May, they insisted that
they only wanted to talk about piracy rates, not the loss number. I
wonder why...
    4. Next, if they're going to count ripple effects in one
direction, it's only fair to also count them in the other direction.
That is, they complain that:

           Lost revenue to technology companies also puts a strain on
their ability to invest in new jobs and new technologies. For example,
the $11.4 billion in piracy losses to software vendors and service
providers in the eight states would have been enough to fund more than
54,000 tech industry jobs.

       But what they don't acknowledge is the ripple effects in the
other direction. That is, if (going by their assumption, remember)
every company that uses an unauthorized copy of software had to pay
for it, that would represent $11.4 billion in money that all of those
other companies could not use to fund jobs at those companies. What
about all of those jobs?
    5. The BSA/IDC stat on lost tax revenue also miscounts on the
point above, since it includes the lost income tax revenue from those
54,000 lost jobs, but does not count the equivalent income tax revenue
from those other jobs. In fact, in the fine print, the report notes:

           "Employment losses are calculated from revenue losses, and
only apply to employment in the IT industry, not IT professionals in
end-user organizations. Tax revenue losses are calculated from revenue
losses (VAT and corporate income tax) and employment losses (income
and social taxes)."

       In other words, the income tax losses only count one side of
the equation and totally ignore the lost income tax revenue from the
lost jobs on the other side of the equation. Oops.
    6. It seems likely that the eventual tax benefits of the
unauthorized use of software is most likely to greatly outweigh the
lost tax revenue elsewhere. That's because the use of software within
industries is a productivity tool that increases overall productivity
and output, which would increase taxes beyond just the income taxes of
the employees. The study, of course, ignores this point.
    7. Worst of all, the report seems to assume that direct software
sales are the only business model for the software industry, ignoring
plenty of evidence from companies that have adopted business models
that embrace free software -- generating billions of dollars for the
economy (and in taxes). And that's what this really comes down to.
It's a business model issue. If others started adopting these business
models as well, there wouldn't be any "losses" at all.

Oh, and just for good measure, the report also falsely claims that:
"What many don't realize or don't think about is that when you
purchase software, you are actually purchasing a license to use it,
not the actual software." That's not exactly true and goes directly
against a recent court ruling that said the opposite and goes through
a detailed explanation for why a piece of sold software is a sale with
restrictions, rather than a license, using previous court precedents.

Most of these points have been made to the BSA and IDC in the past,
and both organizations chose not to address them. The fact that
they're continuing to use these obviously false numbers and
methodology to now push for the government to prop up an obsolete
business model should be seen as troubling not just for the dishonesty
of it, but for the negative impact it will have on the software
industry and our economy as a whole.