[Infowarrior] - Motion made to televise RIAA proceedings

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Dec 27 20:37:46 UTC 2008

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html#4869726205727420719

Defendant makes motion for proceedings to be televised over the
internet in SONY BMG Music Entertainment v. Tenenbaum

In SONY BMG Music Entertainment v. Tenenbaum, the defendant has moved
for all court proceedings to be televised over the internet through
Courtroom View Network. The motion argues:

     Information is the currency of democracy, sunshine laws open
government. The federal court is open not only as a court of justice
but a forum of civic education. WE the PEOPLE are the ultimate check
in our constitutional system of checks and balances, we the people of
the integrated media space opened and connected by the net in a public
domain. Net access will allow an intelligent public domain to shape
itself by attending and engaging in a public trial of issues
conflicting our society.

     Net access to this litigation will allow an interested and
growingly sophisticated public to understand the RIAA’s education
campaign. Surely education is the purpose of the Digital Deterrence
Act of 1999, the constitutionality of which we are challenging. How
can RIAA object? Yet they do, fear of sunlight shone upon them.

     Net access will allow demonstration by the parties to the jury of
the nature and context of the copyright infringement with which Joel
Tenenbaum is charged.

     Net access will allow an intelligent public domain to shape
itself by attending and engaging a public trial prosecuted by a dying
CD industry against a defendant who did what comes naturally to
digital kids.

     Net access will allow educational and public media institutions
to build a digital archive and resource for understanding law akin to
Jonathan Harr’s A Civil Action reconceived in execution for legal
pedagogy in a digital age, Another Civil Action. The immediacy of net-
based access to court opinions already allows lawyers, professors,
students, and reporters to better keep abreast of the most recent
legal developments, but none with the immediacy the Net allows.

If the motion is granted, it will be the first RIAA case of which we
are aware to be televised.