[Infowarrior] - Pranking (Spoofing) Speed Cameras

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Dec 21 19:55:57 UTC 2008

(Part of me would like to see this widespread around the world as a
further method of getting rid of these controversial things.....--rf)

WEB EXCLUSIVE -- Local teens claim pranks on county's Speed Cams

By Joe Slaninka

Special to the Sentinel

http://www.thesentinel.com/302730670790449.php

As a prank, students from local high schools have been taking
advantage of the county's Speed Camera Program in order to exact
revenge on people who they believe have wronged them in the past,
including other students and even teachers.

Students from Richard Montgomery High School dubbed the prank the
Speed Camera "Pimping" game, according to a parent of a student
enrolled at one of the high schools.

Originating from Wootton High School, the parent said, students
duplicate the license plates by printing plate numbers on glossy photo
paper, using fonts from certain websites that "mimic" those on
Maryland license plates. They tape the duplicate plate over the
existing plate on the back of their car and purposefully speed through
a speed camera, the parent said. The victim then receives a citation
in the mail days later.

Students are even obtaining vehicles from their friends that are
similar or identical to the make and model of the car owned by the
targeted victim, according to the parent.

"This game is very disturbing," the parent said. "Especially since
unsuspecting parents will also be victimized through receipt of
unwarranted photo speed tickets.

The parent said that "our civil rights are exploited," and the entire
premise behind the Speed Camera Program is called into question as a
result of the growing this fad among students.

The Speed Camera Program was implemented in March of this year and
used for the purpose of reducing traffic and pedestrian collisions in
the county. Cameras are located in residential areas and school zones
where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or lower. A $40
citation is mailed to the owner of the car for violating the speed
limit in these areas.

The Montgomery County Police said they have not seen or heard of this
prank occurring but said they will keep an eye out for people
committing the crime.

"I hope the public at large will complain loudly enough that local
Montgomery County government officials will change their policy of
using these cameras for monetary gain," the parent said. "The practice
of sending speeding tickets to faceless recipients without any type of
verification is unwarranted and an exploitation of our rights."

Edward Owusu, Assistant Principal at Wootton High School, said that he
heard of local students pulling the prank when the school received a
call from a parent informing them of its occurrence. "I have not heard
of this happening among students at Wootton," Osuwu said. "It is
unfortunate that kids have a lot of time on their hands that they can
think of doing such a thing."

Montgomery County Council President Phil Andrews said that the issue
is troubling in several respects. "I am concerned that someone could
get hurt, first of all, because they are speeding in areas where they
know speeding is a problem," he said.

Andrews also said that this could hurt the integrity of the Speed
Camera Program. "It will cause potential problems for the Speed Camera
Program in terms of the confidence in it," he said.

He said he is glad someone caught it before it becomes more widespread
and he said he hopes that the word get out to the people participating
in this that there will be consequences.