[Infowarrior] - Schneier: The TSA's useless photo ID rules

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Aug 30 21:34:17 UTC 2008

The TSA's useless photo ID rules
No-fly lists and photo IDs are supposed to help protect the flying
public from terrorists. Except that they don't work.
By Bruce Schneier
August 28, 2008
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-schneier28-2008aug28,0,3099808.story

The TSA is tightening its photo ID rules at airport security.
Previously, people with expired IDs or who claimed to have lost their
IDs were subjected to secondary screening. Then the Transportation
Security Administration realized that meant someone on the
government's no-fly list -- the list that is supposed to keep our
planes safe from terrorists -- could just fly with no ID.

Now, people without ID must also answer personal questions from their
credit history to ascertain their identity. The TSA will keep records
of who those ID-less people are, too, in case they're trying to probe
the system.

This may seem like an improvement, except that the photo ID
requirement is a joke. Anyone on the no-fly list can easily fly
whenever he wants. Even worse, the whole concept of matching passenger
names against a list of bad guys has negligible security value.

How to fly, even if you are on the no-fly list: Buy a ticket in some
innocent person's name. At home, before your flight, check in online
and print out your boarding pass. Then, save that web page as a PDF
and use Adobe Acrobat to change the name on the boarding pass to your
own. Print it again. At the airport, use the fake boarding pass and
your valid ID to get through security. At the gate, use the real
boarding pass in the fake name to board your flight.

The problem is that it is unverified passenger names that get checked
against the no-fly list. At security checkpoints, the TSA just matches
IDs to whatever is printed on the boarding passes. The airline checks
boarding passes against tickets when people board the plane. But
because no one checks ticketed names against IDs, the security breaks
down.

This vulnerability isn't new. It isn't even subtle. I first wrote
about it in 2006. I asked Kip Hawley, who runs the TSA, about it in
2007. Today, any terrorist smart enough to Google "print your own
boarding pass" can bypass the no-fly list.

This gaping security hole would bother me more if the very idea of a
no-fly list weren't so ineffective. The system is based on the faulty
notion that the feds have this master list of terrorists, and all we
have to do is keep the people on the list off the planes.

That's just not true. The no-fly list -- a list of people so dangerous
they are not allowed to fly yet so innocent we can't arrest them --
and the less dangerous "watch list" contain a combined 1 million names
representing the identities and aliases of an estimated 400,000
people. There aren't that many terrorists out there; if there were, we
would be feeling their effects.

Almost all of the people stopped by the no-fly list are false
positives. It catches innocents such as Ted Kennedy, whose name is
similar to someone's on the list, and Islam Yusuf (formerly Cat
Stevens), who was on the list but no one knew why.

The no-fly list is a Kafkaesque nightmare for the thousands of
innocent Americans who are harassed and detained every time they fly.
Put on the list by unidentified government officials, they can't get
off. They can't challenge the TSA about their status or prove their
innocence. (The U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decided this month
that no-fly passengers can sue the FBI, but that strategy hasn't been
tried yet.)

But even if these lists were complete and accurate, they wouldn't
work. Timothy McVeigh, the Unabomber, the D.C. snipers, the London
subway bombers and most of the 9/11 terrorists weren't on any list
before they committed their terrorist acts. And if a terrorist wants
to know if he's on a list, the TSA has approved a convenient, $100
service that allows him to figure it out: the Clear program, which
issues IDs to "trusted travelers" to speed them through security
lines. Just apply for a Clear card; if you get one, you're not on the
list.

In the end, the photo ID requirement is based on the myth that we can
somehow correlate identity with intent. We can't. And instead of
wasting money trying, we would be far safer as a nation if we invested
in intelligence, investigation and emergency response -- security
measures that aren't based on a guess about a terrorist target or
tactic.

That's the TSA: Not doing the right things. Not even doing right the
things it does.

Bruce Schneier, chief security technology officer of BT Global
Services, is author of the forthcoming book "Schneier on Security."