[Infowarrior] - iPhone can phone home and kill apps?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Aug 7 12:26:47 UTC 2008

(yet another reason why I won't ever own one of these things....how
can you trust your device? will Apple reimburse you for apps you paid
for that they decided to nix?  I doubt it.......again, this is Apple
dictating how they think you should use their devices and do things
online........--rf)

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/

iPhone can phone home and kill apps?

Posted 6 August 2008 @ 11am in News

Apple has apparently included a blacklisting mechanism in iPhone OS
2.x via which the device can phone home, check for unauthorized
applications, and disable them. The OS includes a URL that points to a
page containing a list of unauthorized applications, specifically:

https://iphone-services.apple.com/clbl/unauthorizedApps

Per Jonathan Zdziarski, author of the book iPhone Open Application
Development and an iPhone Forensics manual:

     “This suggests that the iPhone calls home once in a while to find
out what applications it should turn off. At the moment, no apps have
been blacklisted, but by all appearances, this has been added to
disable applications that the user has already downloaded and paid
for, if Apple so chooses to shut them down.

     “I discovered this doing a forensic examination of an iPhone 3G.
It appears to be tucked away in a configuration file deep inside
CoreLocation.”