[Infowarrior] - Superbugs

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Aug 7 12:18:20 UTC 2008

Superbugs
The new generation of resistant infections is almost impossible to
treat.
by Jerome Groopman August 11, 2008

In August, 2000, Dr. Roger Wetherbee, an infectious-disease expert at
New York University’s Tisch Hospital, received a disturbing call from
the hospital’s microbiology laboratory. At the time, Wetherbee was in
charge of handling outbreaks of dangerous microbes in the hospital,
and the laboratory had isolated a bacterium called Klebsiella
pneumoniae from a patient in an intensive-care unit. “It was literally
resistant to every meaningful antibiotic that we had,” Wetherbee
recalled recently. The microbe was sensitive only to a drug called
colistin, which had been developed decades earlier and largely
abandoned as a systemic treatment, because it can severely damage the
kidneys. “So we had this report, and I looked at it and said to
myself, ‘My God, this is an organism that basically we can’t treat.’ ”

< - >

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/08/11/080811fa_fact_groopman?printable=true