[Infowarrior] - Expert clones 'secure' passports

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Aug 6 20:01:44 UTC 2008

Expert clones 'secure' passports

06.08.08

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23527207-details/Expert+clones+%27secure%27+passports/article.do

Microchipped passports were cloned in tests exposing "a serious safety
flaw", it was reported.

A computer researcher cloned the chips on two passports and implanted
digital images of Osama bin Laden and a suicide bomber, according to
The Times.

The chips were then recognised as genuine by the passport reader
software used at airports.

Britain introduced e-passports in March 2006 to combat terrorism and
organised crime. Tens of millions of microchipped passports have been
issued worldwide.

Jeroen van Beek, from the University of Amsterdam, conducted the tests
for the newspaper.

He said: "We're not claiming that terrorists are able to do this to
all passports today or that they will be able to do it tomorrow. But
it does raise concerns over security that need to be addressed in a
more public and open way."

The tests could have implications for the Government's £4 billion
identity card scheme, which relies on the same biometric technology.
The Times claims they could also undermine claims that 3,000 blank
passports stolen last week were worthless because they could not be
forged.

A Home Office spokesman said: "We take security and privacy very
seriously, which is why the British biometric passport meets
international standards as set out by the International Civil Aviation
Organisation and we remain confident that it is one of the most secure
passports available.

"Continuing investment in biometric technology and enhanced security
measures will help ensure that passport security is maintained now and
in the future."