[Infowarrior] - Lessig and the rumored "i-PATRIOT Act"

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Aug 6 19:59:30 UTC 2008

(True or not, I wouldn't put anything past anyone these
days..........and perhaps some informed paranoia is warranted here
given the INSANE levels of security associated with the National
Cybersecurity Initiative.  These days you really have to wonder what
evil is being cooked up and/or being implemented in the name of
"homeland security' -- sounds like "please trust us" is being used
again to quickly get controversial things enacted w/o public scrutiny.
Now, I can understand secrecy to protect sources and methods, but my
gut-check tells me the INSANE levels of hush-hush over this "sweeping
cybersecurity initiative" likely is to cover up another suspect and
potentially-illegal public-private powergrab in the name of 'security'
as done so frequently by this Administration. --  but is there a
connection between what I suggest here and Lessig's comments?  You be
the judge.  -rf)

Law Professor: Counter Terrorism Czar Told Me There Is Going To Be An
i-9/11 And An i-Patriot Act
Stanford Law professor Lawrence Lessig details government plans to
overhaul and restrict the Internet

Steve Watson
Infowars.net
Tuesday, August 5, 2008

http://www.infowars.net/articles/august2008/050808i911.htm

Amazing revelations have emerged concerning already existing
government plans to overhaul the way the internet functions in order
to apply much greater restrictions and control over the web.

Lawrence Lessig, a respected Law Professor from Stanford University
told an audience at this years Fortune’s Brainstorm Tech conference in
Half Moon Bay, California, that "There’s going to be an i-9/11 event"
which will act as a catalyst for a radical reworking of the law
pertaining to the internet.

Lessig also revealed that he had learned, during a dinner with former
government Counter Terrorism Czar Richard Clarke, that there is
already in existence a cyber equivalent of the Patriot Act, an "i-
Patriot Act" if you will, and that the Justice Department is waiting
for a cyber terrorism event in order to implement its provisions.

During a group panel segment titled "2018: Life on the Net", Lessig
stated:

     There’s going to be an i-9/11 event. Which doesn't necessarily
mean an Al Qaeda attack, it means an event where the instability or
the insecurity of the internet becomes manifest during a malicious
event which then inspires the government into a response. You've got
to remember that after 9/11 the government drew up the Patriot Act
within 20 days and it was passed.

     The Patriot Act is huge and I remember someone asking a Justice
Department official how did they write such a large statute so
quickly, and of course the answer was that it has been sitting in the
drawers of the Justice Department for the last 20 years waiting for
the event where they would pull it out.

     Of course, the Patriot Act is filled with all sorts of insanity
about changing the way civil rights are protected, or not protected in
this instance. So I was having dinner with Richard Clarke and I asked
him if there is an equivalent, is there an i-Patriot Act just sitting
waiting for some substantial event as an excuse to radically change
the way the internet works. He said "of course there is".

Watch Lessig reveal the details at 4.30 into the following video:

Lessig is the founder of Stanford Law School's Center for Internet and
Society. He is founding board member of Creative Commons and is a
board member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and of the Software
Freedom Law Center. He is best known as a proponent of reduced legal
restrictions on copyright, trademark and radio frequency spectrum,
particularly in technology applications.

These are clearly not the ravings of some paranoid cyber geek.

The Patriot Act, as well as its lesser known follow up the Domestic
Security Enhancement Act 2003, also known as USA Patriot Act II, have
been universally decried by civil libertarians and Constitutional
scholars from across the political spectrum. They have stripped back
basic rights and handed what have been described by even the most
moderate critics as "dictatorial control" over to the president and
the federal government.

Many believed that the legislation was a response to the attacks of
9/11, but the reality was that the Patriot Act was prepared way in
advance of 9/11 and it sat dormant, awaiting an event to justify its
implementation.

In the days after the attacks it was passed in the House by a majority
of 357 to 66. It passed the Senate by 98 to 1. Congressman Ron Paul (R-
Tex) told the Washington Times that no member of Congress was even
allowed to read the legislation.

Now we discover that exactly the same freedom restricting legislation
has already been prepared for the cyber world.

An i-9/11, as described by Lawrence Lessig, would provide the perfect
pretext to implement such restrictions in one swift motion, as well as
provide the justification for relegating and eliminating specific
content and information on the web.

Such an event could come in the form of a major viral attack, the
hacking of a major city's security or transport systems, or some other
vital systems, or a combination of all of these things. Considering
the amount of unanswered questions regarding 9/11 and all the
indications that it was a covert false flag operation, it isn't hard
to imagine such an event being played out in the cyber world.

However, regardless of any i-9/11 or i-Patriot Act, there is already a
coordinated effort to stem the reach and influence of the internet.

We have tirelessly warned of this general movement to restrict,
censor, control and eventually completely shut down the internet as we
know it, thereby killing the last real vestige of free speech in the
world today and eliminating the greatest communication and information
tool ever conceived.

Our governments have reams of legislation penned to put clamps on the
web as we know it. Legislation such as the PRO-IP Act of 2007: H.R.
4279, that would create an IP czar at the Department of Justice and
the Intellectual Property Enforcement Act of 2007: S. 522, which would
create an entire ‘Intellectual Property Enforcement Network’. These
are just two examples.

In addition, we have already seen how the major corporate websites and
social networks are decentralizing and coming together to implement
overarching identification, verification and access systems that have
been described by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg as "the beginning
of a movement and the beginning of an industry.”

Some of these major tech companies have already joined efforts in
projects such as the Information Card Foundation, which has proposed
the creation of a system of internet ID cards that will be required
for internet access. Of course, such a system would give those
involved the ability to track and control user activity much more
effectively. This is just one example.

In addition, as we reported yesterday, major transportation hubs like
St. Pancras International, as well as libraries, big businesses,
hospitals and other public outlets that offer wi-fi Internet, are
blacklisting alternative news websites and making them completely
inaccessible to their users.

These precedents are merely the first indication of what is planned
for the Internet over the next 5-10 years, with the traditional web
becoming little more than a vast spy database that catalogues people’s
every activity and bombards them with commercials, while those who
comply with centralized control and regulation of content will be free
to enjoy the new super-fast Internet 2.

We must speak out about this rampant move to implement strict control
mechanisms on the web NOW before it is too late, before the spine of
the free internet is broken and its body essentially becomes paralyzed
beyond repair.