[Infowarrior] - Kudos to Fox News!

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Apr 30 13:12:46 UTC 2008

(Yes, you read that correctly. And, no -- I am not under the influence of
any strange vegetation at the moment)

Kudos to Fox News!!!!

Fox News is Responsive to the Linux Community.
http://tinyurl.com/5f5eva

This is in stark contrast to CNBC's treatment of its Web viewers, who
despite their much-ballyhooed "interactive" and "useful" site makeover in
2006,  still precludes folks from viewing their website videos using
non-Microsoft browsers, thus making their website LESS interactive and LESS
useful to a growing segment of the community.  Folks have complained about
it for two years, with no success.

>From the CNBC FAQ:

> http://www.cnbc.com/id/15839052/site/14081545/#supportfirefox
>
> Does CNBC.com support the use of Firefox browsers?
>
>     Yes. A plugin is currently required to view video on CNBC.com using
> Firefox version 1.5. Click here to access the plugin.

It's quite clear CNBC could care less about this matter: the so-called
Firefox plug-in is a few years out of date, designed for an old version of
Firefox, and there is none available for Firefox 2.0. How's that for showing
how much CNBC cares?

Granted, I don't watch CNBC-TV now that I have Bloomberg. CNBC got too
sensational, political, and cheerlead-y as it began to compete with the
upstart Fox Biz Channel. As a result, I really think CNBC's more about
providing 'investotainment' to the amateurs than useful 'business news' for
serious investors.

Even though I don't watch their network or visit their website very often,
bravo to Fox News for listening to their viewers tech concern -- and, boo to
CNBC for doing the exact opposite.

-rick
Infowarrior.org

Disclosure:  there's one CNBC analyst in Chicago (Rick Santelli) whose
views, opinions, and analysis I do respect, and would love to be able to
keep receiving via the Web.  But as for the rest of the network.....bleh.