[Infowarrior] - TD Ameritrade says hacker stole customer info

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Sep 14 15:56:29 UTC 2007

TD Ameritrade says hacker stole customer info

By Josh Funk, Associated Press

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-09-14-ameritrade-hacked_N.htm

OMAHA ‹ TD Ameritrade (AMTD) said Friday that one of its databases was
hacked and contact information for its more than 6.3 million customers was
stolen.

A spokeswoman for the brokerage said more sensitive information in the same
database, including Social Security numbers and account numbers, does not
appear to have been taken.

The company would not share many details of its investigation, including
when the hack took place, because it is still looking into the theft and is
cooperating with investigators from the FBI.

Ameritrade's customers have received unwanted e-mail ads because of the data
theft. Spokeswoman Katrina Becker said there is no evidence that any
customer suffered financial losses or was a victim of identity theft.

Ameritrade plans to notify customers about the data theft Friday, and the
brokerage posted information about it on its website.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Social Security numbers | Ameritrade

"While the financial assets our clients hold with us were never touched, and
there is no evidence that our clients' Social Security Numbers were taken,
we understand that this issue has increased unwanted SPAM, which is annoying
and inconvenient for them," Chief Executive Joe Moglia said. "We sincerely
apologize for that and any added concern this may have caused."

Ameritrade said it is confident that it identified how this information was
taken and has changed its computer code enough to prevent the theft from
recurring. It added that any new client who opened an account after July 18
was not affected.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.