[Infowarrior] - National Emergency....?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Sep 14 14:05:16 UTC 2007

While I've not read the law and official definition of the phrase, I'm
certain this declaration is needed more for some political or budgetary
purpos than anything else. Granted, this is not the first President to have
a national emergency declaration extended for a prolonged period, but does
anyone else feel that declaring a "national emergency" is a bit of a stretch
nowdays?

If one believes that the US is under a constant, if not perpetual, threat of
an attack by terrorists, doesn't that suggest that a "national emergency"
will be a permenant state of American existence?  If someone moves to South
Florida, they know they're at-risk for a hurricane.....it's part of what you
deal with by virtue of living down there.  Living in America now you should
realize there is always the potential for a(nother) attack on US soil.

That said, if we get attacked again, would that suddenly require a
"super-duper national emergency" declaration that's even more critical than
the routine state of "national emergency"?

Just wondering out loud on a Friday....

-rf

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/09/20070912-2.html