[Infowarrior] - VeriSign to Drop Units

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Nov 14 13:58:00 UTC 2007

About time.....for 6 years now I've been trying to figure their business
plan out.  Seemed way too hodgepodged for my liking....maybe a
back-to-the-basics approach will be a good thing for them.

-rf

VeriSign to Drop Units
By TSC Staff
11/14/2007 8:26 AM EST

VeriSign (VRSN) said it would part ways with some of its operations in order
to focus on expanding its Web naming, site certification and identity
protection businesses.

The company said Wednesday that it plans to shed a number of units, such as
communications, billing and commerce.

VeriSign is best known for registering sites with the .com, .net and .tv
Internet suffixes. The company also offers Web certificates, or Secure
Sockets Layer certificates that protect transmissions on the Internet, and
identity protection services.

"The combination of focus and disciplined execution will provide the
foundation we need to generate improved shareholder returns," CEO Bill Roper
said in a press release. "We have leadership positions in great businesses
with high growth, attractive economic returns and significant barriers to
entry."