[Infowarrior] - DOD wants to fund "political will mapper" tool

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Mar 13 02:39:20 UTC 2007

This is interesting from an analytical perspective yet underscores the
fetish America has with applying technology and technological systems
towards socio-cultural problems.  Seeing something like this only makes me
think back to Macnamara's infatuation with systems analysis as the be-all
end-all for developing lessons-learned reports during Vietnam.

In the case of low-intensity conflict and unconventional warfare, I'm
skeptical of the effectiveness of such a proposed system. If you don't have
folks that understand the theory behind tribal cultures and relations
amongst foreign populations --- ie things you ONLY find out with close
interaction with the locals -- all something like this will do is give you
data and metrics but not wisdom or understanding.

In other words, having data =| having understanding.

Still, it sounds like a nifty project for some contractor....and I admit I'd
be curious to see how this gets developed.

-rf

http://www.dodsbir.net/solicitation/sttr07/osd07.htm