[Infowarrior] - A Visual Exploration of Complex Networks

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jul 25 11:06:33 EDT 2006

A Visual Exploration of Complex Networks

by Edit Staff € Posted July 24, 2006 12:37 AM

Complexity is everywhere. It's a structural and organizational principle
that reaches almost every field imaginable, from genetics and social
networks to food webs and stock markets. Contemporary scientific and
technological accomplishments‹including mapping the human genome, decoding
neural networks and opening up the ocean to exploration‹have seen our
ability to generate and acquire information outpace our ability to make
sense of it. With a surfeit of facts and few ways to synthesize them,
"meaningful information" quickly becomes an oxymoron.

As our cultural artifacts are increasingly measured in gigabytes and
terabytes, organizing, sorting and displaying information in an efficient
way is crucial to advancing knowledge. From the incredibly vast (the history
of science) to the very small (protein complexes), science's visual dialect
renders it both more dynamic and more innovative.

Collected here are a few of the many intriguing, and often beautiful, images
that illustrate how the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

< - >

http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/07/look_around_you.php