[Dataloss] Analysis Reveals No Security Breach, No Personal Data Exposed At CU-Boulder

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Thu May 1 21:49:20 UTC 2008

http://www.colorado.edu/news/r/c44664813b5b2e378a26238eafecf33a.html

The University of Colorado at Boulder today announced that a forensic
analysis of a computer suspected to have been compromised last week
revealed no malicious software, and no exposure of student and staff
private data.

"The analysis by our staff, working closely with the consulting firm of
Applied Trust Engineering, revealed an interaction between two
incompatible software programs that mimicked behavior consistent with
malicious software," said Dan Jones director of IT Security at CU-Boulder.

"The functioning of the computers led us to initiate our data breach
protocol, which includes providing notice to the community of a potential
threat of identity theft," Jones said.

Dennis Maloney, chief technology officer for CU-Boulder, said, "While the
data was not compromised, this incident still reinforces the need to
continue to constantly improve IT security at CU. We also intend to share
our discovery of the software incompatibilities with our colleagues."

[...]