[Dataloss] Consumers of Hannaford Brothers Co. SupermarketsFile Class Action Suit

Sasha Romanosky sromanos at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 20 01:05:21 UTC 2008

Well, careful. If victims need to demonstrate actual financial loss,
fraudulent charges covered by the credit card company may not be considered.

That being said, let's look at what we know about choicepoint:
. Fined $10M by FTC for violating fair credit reporting act, and $5M trust
fund for consumer redress,
. $500k toward public education campaigns about identity theft
. Paid $500k for state legal fees
. $10M shareholder lawsuit
For a total of $26M (from around 160k records)

So the claim of 1800 reported cases of identity theft (which may or may not
have resulted in actual loss) may be the least of their worries.

cheers,
sasha