[Dataloss] OR: OSU Bookstore investigating possible ID theft

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Wed Jun 4 04:00:07 UTC 2008

http://www.dhonline.com/articles/2008/06/03/news/local/5loc10_osu.txt

The Oregon State Police is investigating the theft of personal information
from as many as 4,700 online customers of the OSU Bookstore who used
credit cards to purchase items.

In March, OSP began investigation into a report that approximately 30 OSU
Bookstore customers. personal information may have been compromised
following online orders.

Then last week, telephone calls and e-mails began coming into the
bookstore from customers who had noticed fraudulent charges on their
credit cards almost immediately after placing online orders, according to
OSU Bookstore General Manager Steve Eckrich. "We immediately shut down our
servers when we recognized it as an external breach," he said.

[...]