[Dataloss] TN: Election Commission laptop harddrive found

David C. Smith dcs44 at georgetown.edu
Fri Jan 18 20:38:37 UTC 2008

> I don't think ghost doesn't really copy every part of the drive.
> I am sure it would be fairly easy to tell if the drive was only
I am not sure about ghost, but it can be done with the unix dd command.
It creates a forensically sound bit image of the source.
http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Dd.  Dd images do hold up in court as
evidence and you can use MD5 sums to prove changes were not made.  You
may also view the drive with write blockers like
http://www.forensicswiki.org/index.php?title=Write_Blockers which would
not alter the source drive.

Cheaply, one can use a USB external cable say,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156101  ($18)
combined with a usb software block (free):
http://windowsir.blogspot.com/2004/12/xp-sp2-and-making-usb-storage-read.html
to retrieve all information without being detected.
> >anything was changed unless you have an image of the drive before it
> >left and you individually "checksum"
> >each file to look for changes.
>
> Um. I have to disagree with this.

But, you can alter the dd image using a hex editor and reapply it back
the original media without detection (unless you have a source image to
"diff" against).  But I would like to think that someone in the
organization would tell them that since they lost integrity control of
the data it should be deleted or reverified.

Dave