[Dataloss] Canada: Bell probes theft of personal information on 3.4 million Ont., Que. clients

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Wed Feb 13 04:51:16 UTC 2008

: ": " They also need to define "services" here. Does this include DSL service?
: ": " Just POTS services like call waiting?
:
: Does either service constitute either "personal" or "private" information?

No, and this incident does not qualify for inclusion in the DLDOS. But,
still a good academic discussion I guess.

: ": " *Similar*, which does not rule out the possibility of unlisted customers.
:
: True.  But again, should an unlisted phone number be considered personal
: or private information?  From a personal standpoint, I can see why it
: should be, but what about from a generally accepted standpoint?

In this day and age of telemarketing, net stalkers and other creeps, this
is definitely private information. If my 'unlisted' information was
leaked, i would certainly raise a stink with my RBOC and ask for a refund
for the money I have been paying each month for the 'service' of them NOT
adding my information to the directory (which is pretty sick to begin
with).

: New ground here... how "private" or "personal" are unlisted phone
: numbers and should they be held to the same standard as Social Security
: (or SIN/NIN) numbers, credit card numbers, financial account numbers, or
: dates of birth?

No, that information is private/personal yes, but that is not PII / NPPI
by any definition.