[Dataloss] Caterpillar Says Employee Data Stolen

rchick rchicker at etiolated.org
Wed Aug 27 19:01:31 UTC 2008

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OP99M81&show_article=1&catnum=4

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) - Caterpillar Inc. said late Friday that a laptop
computer containing personal data on employees was stolen from a benefits
consultant that works with the company.

Caterpillar spokesman Rusty Dunn declined to provide many details Friday.

"This is an open investigation and we're not prepared to get into any
specifics," Dunn said.

He said one laptop computer was stolen earlier this month, but didn't say
where the theft took place or identify the consultant.

Dunn declined to say how many employees were affected. He said the majority
are based in the U.S. and letters have been sent to notify them. Dunn said a
call center is being established to take their inquiries.

The Peoria-based heavy-equipment maker said in a release that it did not
believe the computer was targeted for the data, nor does it believe the data
has been accessed or used.

"We deeply regret that this incident occurred," Caterpillar Human Services
Division Vice President Sid Banwart said in the release. "We are putting in
place an enhanced level of protection for this type of personal data."

A message left Friday at the Peoria office of the United Auto Workers union,
which represents a number of Caterpillar employees in Illinois, was not
returned.

Caterpillar has more than 90,000 employees around the world, according to
its Web site.