[Dataloss] Computer Containing Test Scores Missing From School

rchick rchicker at etiolated.org
Thu Apr 17 02:23:54 UTC 2008

 April 14, 2008
http://www.wxii12.com/news/15878798/detail.html STOKES COUNTY, N.C. -- A
school computer containing the names, test scores and Social Security
numbers of students from three Stokes County high schools was stolen from a
locked closet, authorities said.

The school system sent home a letter to parents last week notifying them of
the theft, which affected between 400 to 800 students at West, South and
North Stokes high schools.

"Wednesday after we returned from our spring break, a teacher notified us
that she had misplaced (the) laptop computer," said school system
superintendent Dr. Stewart Hobbs.

The computer was used for scoring exams in the career and technical courses,
the school system said.

And though the computer contained personal information, Hobbs said he
doesn't think the information can be accessed.

"All information stored on the computer is protected by two separate
security systems, each of which requires a password," the letter stated.

"Any time any type of computer, especially if it has student information
that's missing, this is of importance to us," Hobbs said