[Dataloss] medical data published on South Texas Web Site

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Tue Jul 24 14:35:45 UTC 2007

http://tinyurl.com/37xl5m
Private medical information published on county Web site

EDINBURG — The names, Social Security numbers and treatment descriptions
for 25 indigent patients were posted on the county’s Web site for nearly
two months before Hidalgo County officials took them down Monday.

The information — included in documents linked to Commissioners Court’s
May 29 meeting agenda — specified medical procedures, costs and the
personal information of those covered by the program.

The information was removed from the county Web site Monday afternoon
after The Monitor contacted county officials about the situation.

Eduardo Olivarez, director of the county health and human services
department, said he had no idea why the patients’ personal information
was published on the Web. He said the department is conducting an
internal investigation into the matter.

“I’m not sure how it got there,” Olivarez said. “I apologize. I just
don’t know how it happened.”

The services delivered to the indigent patients were for emergency room
visits between September 2003 and December 2004.