[Dataloss] Personal data leaks 'worse in Australia than other regions'

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Thu Aug 16 13:22:22 UTC 2007

(Interesting article considering only three incidents out of 759 in the
Data Loss Database - Open Source were reported from Australia...)

http://www.securecomputing.net.au/news/59136,personal-data-leaks-worse-in-australia-than-other-regions.aspx

Corporate data breaches - which can lead to identity theft - are occurring
in Australia and without disclosure laws similar to those in the US those
affected will never know they are at risk, claim Gartner analysts.

Speaking at the Gartner IT Security Summit in Sydney this week, Rich
Mogull research VP at Gartner said he can guarantee data breaches in
Australia are occurring and the situation could be worse than in other
regions of the world -the only difference is - here it is hidden.

"I know breaches are occurring, banks don't tell me when they have
breaches, the merchants don't tell me when they have breaches but I work
with a lot of businesses here," said Mogull.

"Australia is not getting off easy, it's just hidden. To be honest this is
a harsher environment - because of the proximity to some of the Asian
economies where a lot of this happens," said Mogull.

[...]