[Dataloss] TJX breach shows that encryption can be foiled

DAIL, ANDY ADAIL at sunocoinc.com
Tue Apr 3 14:33:31 UTC 2007

Some attorneys and CPA's will make the case that you should retain
transaction records for a period of 7 years in the event of a tax audit.
This requirement does not necessarily include the credit card number,
just a record of the transaction.  The only reason to store the number
would be in the event of a charge-back, but if you have the card number
only, and the date & transaction amount, you can still deal with the
charge-back.  Another reason might be to attempt to data-mine purchases
by a specific card number and attempt targeted advertising, or sell the
demographic data.  Still, that's something I'd outsource and get that
data off of MY servers.

However, if you are storing any track data after the authorization
you're in violation of the PCI-DSS v1.1 in a couple of places.  The
preface of 1.1 states quite clearly:  ** Sensitive authentication data
must not be stored subsequent to authorization (even if encrypted).

Section 3 deals specifically with data retention and again states not to
retain data after authorization.
It does provide a caveat, but unless you're in the data mining business,
I can't think of a reason (at least in our business model) that we'd
want to retain this data one second longer than necessary:

[Quote] PCI DSS v1.1 section 3.2.1 In the normal course of business, the
following data elements from the magnetic stripe may need to be
retained: the accountholder's name, primary account number (PAN),
expiration date, and service code. To minimize risk, store only those
data elements needed for business. NEVER store the card verification
code or value or PIN verification value data elements. Note: See
"Glossary" for additional information. [End Quote]

If you stop and think about the liability you take upon yourself when
you allow this data to reside in your company, you'd probably purge your
servers of it as expeditiously as possible.  A good analogy, I think,
would be this:  Keeping card data you are not actively using, is like
agreeing to allow a friend to store his illegal drugs at your house,
because the police are watching his house.

It just doesn't make sense to take that kind of risk, and it is the sort
of risk that provides no sort of positive return.  It's just risk that
sits there waiting for the law of averages to bite you.