[Dataloss] Article: The Cold, Hard Costs of Data Exposure

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Wed Sep 27 19:37:07 EDT 2006

: PGP Study says the direct, indirect, and opportunity cost is $140 for
: each record lost.  They also say 20% of the customers leave, and an
: additional 40% are looking for a new provider.

I have a hard time believing that 20% of customers leave as a result of
dataloss. At least in the U.S., people are lazy. They will fall into that
40% that are 'looking' for a new provider, but the amount that actually go
through the hassle of switching? I have a feeling it is a lot less.

I haven't read either of these studies but another thing that comes to
mind is what about the situations where they can't leave? Veteran's
Affairs or other agencies/companies that have the information based on
your past, you can't just "drop them".

And finally, after you leave, the company still holds onto old customer
records for years.