[Dataloss] VISA / 1ST BANK

Chris Walsh cwalsh at cwalsh.org
Thu Oct 19 16:06:32 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 10:41:37AM -0400, B.K. DeLong wrote:
> Well, whomever it was will probably get wacked with a HUGE fine for
> violating PCI Security standards. I'm guessing it won't take long to
> determine who falls under approved card processors for Visa.

They might get fined, but not buy Visa.  Too much butter on that bread
to throw it in the bin.

The FTC, OTOH, may do some enforcement:
http://www.emergentchaos.com/archives/2006/06/prediction.html

Visa has been zealously guarding the "privacy" of these processors since
at least December of 2005, when the Sam's Club stuff started to hit the
fan.  Even Gartner called MC and Visa out on it:
http://www.emergentchaos.com/archives/2005/12/gartner_to_visa.html

Chris