[attrition] Don't kill bugs

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sun Oct 25 03:42:17 UTC 2009

So, earlier this week, I spied a wolf spider crawling on the wall under the
west window in the dining room.  Being, well, me, I grabbed it in my bare hand
to show the wife before "disposing" (read: smooshing) it.

Took it over to her, opened my hand, and it jumped onto the couch next to her.
This made her jump.  That made me jump.  I grabbed it again to take it to the
terlet (read: potential "target practice").  Within a second, I felt a small
but sharp pain on my right index finger.

"OW"
"Did it bite you?"
"YES IT BIT ME"

I took Mister Pidey into the bathroom and, admittedly a bit pissed off, threw
him into the terlet.  Well, not really... apparently, I missed the terlet and
Mister Pidey hit the floor and disappeared.  Like, vanished. I looked and could
not find him on the floor, in the terlet, or anywhere else.  Gone.
Disappointed, I spent the next ten minutes smooshing my finger to get Pidey
venom out of it, which actually did make my finger feel better.

Tonight, we were infested by Asian beetles (again), which look like ladybugs,
but they're a tad more aggressive.  They bite too.  I saw one crawl in through
the west window in the dining room, so I grabbed it to show to the wife.
This time, instead of showing her, I said "follow me", meaning I was
taking it to the bathroom terlet for "disposal" (read: malicious "target
practice").  Once again, I threw it into the terlet... we heard a sound as
it hit.  Both of us heard it, no mass psychosis here.  We looked...

It was gone.

Not in the terlet, not on the floor.  We shook out the rugs.  We looked in the
sink.  We looked on the ceiling.  It was... gone.

Thusly, we have deemed that our second guest bathroom is an alternate universe
where things may enter but never be seen nor heard from again. This concerns us
since Taki and Fuzz (our cats) peek in there occasionaly, but we notice
they never actually GO in there.  R cats R smrt.  They know.  Oh, they
know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66IEW-X0N7U

Amen.