[attrition] Has "Data Loss" Jumped The Shark?

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Tue Oct 13 18:39:40 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: lyger <lyger at attrition.org>
To: dataloss <dataloss at datalossdb.org>,
     dataloss-discuss <dataloss-discuss at datalossdb.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:00:33 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: [Dataloss] Has "Data Loss" Jumped The Shark?

http://datalossdb.org/incident_highlights/38-has-data-loss-jumped-the-shark

For those who aren't familiar with it, the phrase "jump the shark"
originates with an episode of the American TV series "Happy Days", where
one of the primary characters, Fonzie, literally (at least in the show)
jumps over a shark while on water skis. The episode was designed as a
desperate attempt to draw in viewers since the overall content of the show
had become rather, well, "bleh". Things were never the same after that
episode, and it was generally concluded that once Fonzie "jumped the
shark", the show really had nowhere else to go but up.

But it never did.

About six weeks ago, I reposted a question sent to the Data Loss mail list
from an earlier post made over two years prior asking the same question.
To date, the replies we have received can be counted on one hand, but the
evidence shown at the top of the main DataLossDB page is somewhat clear:
for the last several months, we (meaning OSF) have received less reports
and have seen less news about breaches involving personally identifying
information. One or two people have questioned why, and the answer is
simple: we don't know. We still look for news, we still post what we find,
but the decrease in events since the beginning of the year... well, we
just don't know.

[...]