[attrition] Everybody knows the good guys lost...

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Fri Jun 5 10:53:47 UTC 2009

Leonard Cohen [1] played at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre [2] tonight, his
last stop in the US for his 2008/2009 tour [3] before he moves on to
Europe in July. During his lengthy show, he and his band performed around
20 songs including almost every popular/hit song. For a rough lineup, it
was the same set of songs as his 'Live in London' CD based on his 08
London show [4], in a different order.

If you aren't familiar with his music, you really should be.

Halfway up the ~ 200 stairs to get to row 26, I stopped to catch my breath
(it's a unique venue at 6,450 feet) and saw a fox laying down on a rock
just twenty feet from me. I'm sure many fans could draw comparisons
between the fox and Cohen.

Starting shortly after 8:00, Cohen, six musicians and three vocalists put
on a breathtaking concert. He is a down-to-earth poet, singer and musician
with a great sense of humor. The songs deal with "religion, isolation,
sexuality and complex interpersonal relationships" [1] and seem to appeal
to, and find root with anyone who listens.

Cohen is a class act, humble and deeply appreciative of his world-class
support. Musicians that are at the top of their game, vocalists who could
launch their own careers in the blink of an eye. Unique music to go hand
in hand with his distinct voice. At 74 years, he has the energy and
passion of someone a third his age. Starting most songs on his knees,
singing to his fellow performers and skipping on/off stage; he is a true
entertainer.

Three and a half hours later, after several encore songs ending with
'Closing Time', he bid the audience farewell after parting with heartfelt
advice.

--

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed

[..]

I know you had to lie to me
I know you had to cheat
You learned it on your fathers knee
And at your mothers feet
But did you have to fight your way
Across the burning street
When all our vital interests lay
A thousand kisses deep

[..]

I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
And I'm neither left or right
I'm just staying home tonight,
getting lost in that hopeless little screen.
But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
that Time cannot decay,
I'm junk but I'm still holding up
this little wild bouquet:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.

[..]

Yeah we're drinking and we're dancing
but there's nothing really happening
and the place is dead as Heaven on a Saturday night
And my very close companion
gets me fumbling gets me laughing
she's a hundred but she's wearing
something tight
and I lift my glass to the Awful Truth
which you can't reveal to the Ears of Youth
except to say it isn't worth a dime
And the whole damn place goes crazy twice
and it's once for the devil and once for Christ
but the Boss don't like these dizzy heights
we're busted in the blinding lights,
busted in the blinding lights
of CLOSING TIME

--