[attrition] review: Movie: The Dark Knight

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Tue Dec 9 00:37:05 UTC 2008

http://attrition.org/movies/darkknight.html

The Dark Knight
2008
Czarina

I wasn't sure if I would see The Dark Knight, primarily because of Heath
Ledger's death and all of the hype surrounding movies that are released
after the death of a key character. "Final Performances" are usually
overrated as if saying anything else would trample on the deceased
thespian's grave. However, the acclaim and accolades of this movie,
particularly Ledger's performance, are well deserved.

Christopher Nolan's recent iteration of Batman is probably the darkest
screen rendering of the comic book series, far more sullen than Tim
Burton's version. Here, we see an uncompromising, rugged, and solid film
that substantially exceeds the expectations of a comic book movie. There
is no simple good-vs-evil formula here -- no simple story of a city
fraught in crime waiting for a their local superhero to save the day -- no
predictable hero-vs-villian drama. Yes, there is a good deal of action and
good special effects, but this movie escapes the archetype of a comic-book
based film.

[...]