[attrition] rant: Stupid E-mail Disclaimers and the Stupid Users that Use Them

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Wed Oct 4 16:27:38 EDT 2006

http://attrition.org/security/rants/z/disclaimers.html

Wed Oct 5 16:24:32 EDT 2006

martums & jericho

We thought it would be a fad. Ok, we hoped it would be a fad, destined to
go away as quickly as it came. Unfortunately, those worthless e-mail legal
disclaimers still pollute the internet. Written by overzealous lawyers
that don't seem to realize the stupidity futility of their effort, poorly
worded legal gibberish tries to force you into binding contracts to
protect their careless mistakes. One of their employees just fires off an
e-mail full of corporate secrets? No worries! That legal disclaimer will
ensure the unintended recipient deletes it without question! Wishful
thinking douchebag lawyers.

We can't help it--this really makes us nuts. When will these people learn?
You transmitted your crappy mind-numbing message to us, in plain text,
over the public internet. It's ours (and whoever is sniffing our mail) to
do with as we please and you can't have it back, so piss off. We won't
delete it, we will publish it, we will forward it, and there is nothing
you can do about it. Go ahead, take us to court, but try to find a shred
of legal precedent first, ok?

[...]