[Dataloss] At Least 20 Big-Name Passports Breached

Casey, Troy # Atlanta Troy.Casey at McKesson.com
Fri Mar 28 15:58:49 UTC 2008

Someone is over-selling the accuracy of biometrics.  Thanks, I've seen
the false-positive and false-negative rates for fingerprint scanners,
and I'm not buying.  I'll stick with my 14-character password.

And not only are biometrics far less accurate than the vendors
advertise, they are prohibitively expensive for the types of large
enterprises that house a lot of the subject data.  Further, I will
contend that if companies that don't monitor their audit logs today add
biometrics, no meaningful improvement to security is achieved.  If
companies that don't bother to lock down data access to only those with
a true "need to know" adopt biometrics, they only achieve the illusion
of security.

Real security requires that companies make the investment of time and
effort to first lock down access to only those with a need to know, then
maintain those access controls ongoing AND invest in personnel and
technologies to review application audit logs - assuming they wrote
their applications to audit access - then PROSECUTE violators of the
access policy whenever they are found.  How many of you are working at
companies that are willing to erode their profits by making such
investments?  No technology is a panacea, and in the absence of these
measures all that new technology will achieve is the illusion of
security -- which is far more dangerous than a clear understanding of
where security is lacking.

As long as we as a society both accept the proliferation of our data as
somehow not constituting a privacy violation, and kid ourselves that
some silver bullet is going to solve the security problem, identity
theft will never be solved.

Yeesh,
Troy

Troy D. Casey