[Dataloss] At Least 20 Big-Name Passports Breached

Max Hozven mhozven at tealeaf.com
Thu Mar 27 23:33:28 UTC 2008

Well, I don't know if we'll ever find a way to hide our contact info
(name, address, phone, etc) from public databases as this inevitably
ends up in county records, etc and gets sucked into databases.

Regarding identity theft for the purpose of siphoning off bank-accounts
(which is one of the worst-case end result risks), etc, maybe
corporations need to add an option of "anonymous" accounts, like the
"Swiss Bank Accounts" where you are only identified by a number.
They could also issue you an electronic card, where you would enter your
account-number and it would generate you an "effective" account number
to use for customer service like a cell-phone, that communicates back to
the company's base for keys/instructions).  Similar to a cryptographic
card some companies use for VPN access, etc.

So if John Smith opened an account (at a branch, where some
identification was provided), they would issue him account number
123456789 and an electronic card.  When he calls the bank to do a
transaction, he enters 123456789 on his personal electronic card, and
gets his effective account number for the day "358749123").

So, for someone to pose as John Smith, so siphon some money out of his
account, they'd have to jump a number of hurdles.  In the end,
everything is hackable, but adding hurdles, should lower the probability
of an effective hack.
Adding the overhead of electronic cards, etc, isn't cheap, adds
complexity, etc, but would be a nice option for some people.

And this doesn't solve the problem of people opening up new accounts, to
perpetrate identity theft.

-Max
 Note: Opinions expressed are solely my own.