[Dataloss] A data security breach legislation question

Rob Shavell slvrspoon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:30:23 UTC 2008

hi all,
the question i have around US data breach notification legislation is this:

"why are we counting states?"

if most legislation applies to affected record-holders if they are
residents and 95% of breaches already either happen in a state with a
law or include records of persons residing in such states, then...
hasn't this basically become a necessity?

in other words, organizations had better just notify to be in compliance.

following from this: what is the importance to an organization of
reading through particulars of state by state legislation when they
can just follow California, notify everyone, and be in compliance?

bonus question: in your opinion, why are so many companies choosing to
include credit monitoring services for those affected?  a) altruism b)
just not that costly c) concern about downstream law-suits d) ?

rgds,
rob