[Dataloss] Personal experiences? Was Re: VISA / 1ST BANK

Fred Sleator fsleator at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 25 11:24:12 EDT 2006

Have been an identity theft victim. Notified by some really sharp security people at Wal-Mart, of all places. Also victimized were my mother and a trainer at my gym - common factor is that we all had accounts at the same credit union. The pattern was the same - the perp used stolen information to open new accounts, used them minimally (with new addresses) for a couple of months, upped the credit limit, maxed the account, and skipped. The worst issuer appears to be Discover - they will happily let you exceed any credit limit with the expectation of hitting you with a substantial fee, an ideal situation for a scammer.