[Dataloss] Article - Why Companies Lose Private Data

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Tue Oct 24 17:25:11 EDT 2006

http://www.line56.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=7980

Lou Washington, Cincom
Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hardly a day goes by without the news reporting some gross breach of
security resulting from some idiot mishandling sensitive data.

As I see it, there are two culprits at work here, both of which are
creating more than a little havoc in the world of data security. First,
there is the malicious threat. This involves the intentional and
deliberate destruction of or illicit distribution of sensitive data.

Second on my list is the threat that comes from our need for convenience.
We not only want our data at the office, we also want it at home, on the
plane, in the car, at the beach on vacation and virtually everywhere we
go. We want nice, transparent security processes that don't cause us any
grief and at the same time, we expect these transparent processes to
protect our data from any and all threats.

To find support for my theories, I recently analyzed 205 cases of security
breaches publicly reported over the past 18 months.

[...]