[Dataloss] [follow-up] Boeing fires employee whose laptop wasstolen (fwd)

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sat Dec 16 13:00:35 EST 2006

... but we're getting off the topic of data loss here, folks...

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Al Mac wrote:

": " There have been demos, that have got next to no publicity, regarding the
": " right way to setup security.  I remember from years ago:
": " * Some url to a Microsoft.com computer system where people were told that
": " Bill Gates home phone # was in there & hackers invited to find it & use it
": " to phone to get a reward for demonstrating hole in the security.  No one
": " claimed the reward.

one person's phone number, even bill gates, <> dataloss (for this list).

": " * Some url to an IBM.com computer system where people were told that the
": " CEO of IBM credit card account was in there & hackers invited to find it &
": " use it to give themselves a reward for demonstrating hole in the
": " security.  No one claimed any reward.
": " * Both Microsoft and IBM monitored hacker attempts to see how far they
": " managed to get, and used this to improve their security offerings.

one person's CCN, even IBM's CEO, <> dataloss (for this list)

": " Perhaps a computer conference could invite places that claim to have good
": " security offerings, to have one of these demos during the course of the
": " conference.

Security breaches happen every day.  Everything is vulnerable.  For the
purpose of this mail list, we're looking at mass breaches of personally
identifiable information and related topics.  If Katie Couric wants to
dive into a dumpster for Bill Gates' phone number, fine with me.  Don't
care.  Not important.  Think bigger.