[Dataloss] [follow-up] Boeing fires employee whose laptop wasstolen (fwd)

Al Mac macwheel99 at sigecom.net
Sat Dec 16 12:31:33 EST 2006

There have been demos, that have got next to no publicity, regarding the
right way to setup security.  I remember from years ago:
* Some url to a Microsoft.com computer system where people were told that
Bill Gates home phone # was in there & hackers invited to find it & use it
to phone to get a reward for demonstrating hole in the security.  No one
claimed the reward.
* Some url to an IBM.com computer system where people were told that the
CEO of IBM credit card account was in there & hackers invited to find it &
use it to give themselves a reward for demonstrating hole in the
security.  No one claimed any reward.
* Both Microsoft and IBM monitored hacker attempts to see how far they
managed to get, and used this to improve their security offerings.

Perhaps a computer conference could invite places that claim to have good
security offerings, to have one of these demos during the course of the
conference.

>Maybe a fun demo to do at Defcon this summer?  You could set it up as
>a challenge--someone brings in three standard laptops, each with a
>secret file.  You open one, hand them all back, they have to determine
>which of the three were opened?

<snip>