[VIM] Horde go.php question

George A. Theall theall at tenablesecurity.com
Wed Mar 22 09:19:02 EST 2006

security curmudgeon wrote:

> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2006-03/0272.html
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2006-03/0366.html

I asked Jan about this and told him that I'm able to reproduce this
under php 4.4.0-pl1-gentoo as long as magic_quotes_gpc is disabled and
that the following PHP script successfully displays the password file if
run from the CLI under PHP 5.1.2-gentoo/0.4.8:

<?
$url = "../../../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd" . chr(0) . ":/";
var_dump(parse_url($url));
readfile($url);
?>

which suggests that the exploit should work with that version too. In
his reply, he didn't mention anything about which versions of PHP have
the bugs he eluded to, only that he tested it on 4.4.0 and it didn't
work but it did using the CLI SAPI of that version.

I sent him my php.ini file as well as Apache's server info output to
give him an idea how the first server is configured. That was yesterday
morning. I haven't heard back from him yet.

George