[VIM] standards for inclusion of DoS attacks

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Sat Jan 7 07:23:01 EST 2006

Does anyone have any thoughts, debates or even policy on what consitutes a
'DoS attack', in the context for inclusion into a VDB?

I ask for a specific reason that comes up every month or so. What prompted
this one:

This is a gnarly changelog of sorts. There are clearly security issues in
here that will appear in every database. Secunia breaks out 7 entries in
SA18328. My once through says OSVDB may have ~ 10 based on their 7.

My second pass lead to this post. If you read through this changelog, you
begin to see countless "crashes" and "memory leaks". Many of them suggest
that an unprivileged user could manipulate the error to force the crash,
some don't give any hint as to the privileges required to abuse it.

I see both sides of the debate to include every single one. First, it is a
legitimate attack against a system, with the potential to disrupt the
service or user activity, without authorization. No matter how trivial, a
clever attacker could use it. If you look at the entries most of us
maintain for Linux Kernel DoS issues, a lot of them are akin to these.
They take a fairly specific configuration or kernel compilation, local
access to the machine (usually), and a knowledgable attacker. As such,
they get entries in the VDB. Yet in the past, we have all glossed over
these changelogs, typically from the big vendors like IBM, HP or Sun. That
leads into the other side of the argument.

Second, the computer industry is not at a stage where we have stable
software for the most part. Programs are still horrible at sanitizing user
input. While they are getting better at sanitizing *some* input, it is
specific to known attack vectors like overflows, format strings, sql
injections and more. Most are bad about filtering "all other junk someone
may throw at this", which leads to these typs of changelogs. If a VDB is
expected to make an entry for every way to crash a server or application,
we could potentially expect to see several thousand more entries every
year (scaling up as each year goes by). As such, it isn't prudent to add
each and every one at this point.

If you subscribe to #1 and haven't done it for your database, i'd guess it
is a time/resource issue. It can take hours to sort through that changelog
and think about which get an entry, then hours more to create them in the
database. If that is the case, I fully understand it and it is the exact
reason I have skipped over some of these changelogs in the past.

If you subscribe to #2, what is the fine line that dictates which get an
entry and which doesn't? I am not dead set on every single DoS attack
getting an entry, but I find myself having a hard time deciding where the
line is. Solely based on access/privileges required? Based on how feasible
an attack is using the method? Something else?

Brian

ps: this is on my to-blog about list.