[sticklist] - Report on AABOD Quarterly Briefing

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jan 18 23:31:11 UTC 2010

The following is being reposted on behalf of COL Dave Haught '77 '79C,
who attended last weekend's AABOD briefing.    It also appears on
Continental Online (http://continentalonline.org/) under the 'Upcoming
Events' forum thread.

Cheers,

Rick Forno '90 '92C
Sticklist Administrator

- ----------------

Summary of Quarterly Alumni Association Board of Directors (AABOD)
Meeting – 16 January 2010

Roughly 25 alumni and administration staff attended the meeting. The
meeting was in three parts; remarks by Chairman of the Board of
Trustees and Acting President, the quarterly meeting, and AABOD
Executive Session (which I did not attend).

Main points:

• Mr. Floyd provided an update on activities since the resignation of
Mr. McGeorge. Mr. Floyd’s remarks were centered on a theme of moving
forward.
• Current economic reality and employee performance issues were
reasons cited for the recent reduction in force of approximately 10%.
Mr. Floyd assured the alumni that the reductions were conducted in a
compassionate manner and with dignity and respect for the affected
employees. He also emphasized that the changes must be seamless to the
cadets.

• Next President:
o The Board of Trustees has hired Wickenden Associates (http://www.wickenden.com
) to lead the search for the next President. Desired credentials are
being finalized and should be complete within the next week. Members
of the AABOD, staff, and faculty have been included in the development
of the criteria.
o The Association of Military Colleges and Schools of the United
States – AMCSUS (http://www.amcsus.org) is also going to be included
in the process.
o The next President does not necessarily have to be a retired general
or flag officer. The next President will need to be one who
understands the mission of Valley Forge and the world of higher
education. Some sort of military background in the candidate’s
background certainly would be of value.
o The search committee includes Mr. Bill Floyd '63, Mr. Dan Reavy '77,
Mr. Bob Bacine '60, Mr. Mike Nolen '66, Dr. Frederick Breitenfeld
'99H, and Col Doyle. Ideally, the selection and hiring process will be
completed by June.
o Leading Valley Forge will be very complex – it will require a great
leader.

• Related to the search and selection for the next President is the
status of the Superintendent, Col Doyle. Col Doyle has agreed to
remain in his current position until this summer in order to
facilitate transition. The board anticipates a parallel selection and
hiring of a new Superintendent.
• When asked what the alumni can do to help, Mr. Floyd called for the
alumni to unite. The Board expressed an interest in reconciliation and
wants the alumni to come back. However, according to Floyd there has
been no clear offer of contrition by those alumni designated as PNG.
The board was emphatic that it will not tolerate attacks on personnel
or the school; and they will not recognize or embrace any who do.
• Col Doyle discussed the challenges with respect to accreditation,
specifically the pressure the school is under to have greater
separation between the academy and college. It boils down to federal
funding lines are clean with a college; not so with a high school.
• During the open Alumni Association portion of the meeting, the AABOD
discussed how they were getting better connected to the
administration. Discussion on this point centered on the formation of
an “oversight council”, manned by Dr. Breitenfeld, Mr. Floyd, and Mr.
Banco.
• The AABOD asked members of the alumni to use the AA and AABOD as
conduit to the administration.
• Naturally, the need for cash is omnipresent. The AABOD did describe
an initiative where Mr. Spizuoco is developing a list of projects
where alumni can help. The list is being developed with input from the
staff and faculty and will be presented to the administration for
approval to ensure it reflects its priorities and needs.

- ----------------

The above notes are an attempt to capture the salient points to inform
those who could not attend or view the meeting online. What is not
captured are the body language, emotion, and atmosphere of the
meeting. My thoughts and observations:

• First, we should express gratitude for the leadership Mr. Floyd is
demonstrating as Acting President during these very challenging times.
I can’t imagine the enormity of his tasks or walking in his shoes.
• The times ahead for our school are indeed very challenging and will
be difficult. We, the alumni, should look for ways to provide
constructive assistance, input, and advice.
• The mission of Valley Forge will not change (as declared during the
meeting), but the “how” likely will, consistent with economic,
academic, and societal trends.
• There needs to be reconciliation between the dissatisfied members of
the alumni and the Board of Trustees. In my humble opinion, there is
an opportunity to reconcile, but that opportunity wanes with each
passing day. And, with each passing day, so rises the unnecessary
expenditure of time, resources, and emotion.
• As the saying goes, “it takes two to tango.” It would seem prudent
for a meeting where all parties can discuss their differences and
jointly develop a way ahead. As pointed out by one attending alumnus,
it doesn’t cost anything to reconcile. It seems to me that what’s best
for our school and its future is a united and participative alumni – a
key and essential stakeholder group that we want and that the new
President needs in his corner.
• Finally, one attending alum stated that alumni can always help by
offering time, talent, and treasure. He went on to further say that
trust should be the 4th “T” and included in ways we can help. I
thought his comment was insightful and one we should all strive for.

Respectfully submitted,
Dave Haught
77/79C