[sticklist] - Update: Old Guard Response to VF Lawsuit

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jun 19 14:33:44 UTC 2009

All, I received the following letter this morning from the Old Guard
Official statements/rebuttals from the school are welcomed and will be
reproduced here as well.   As a reminder the Sticklist takes no side
on these issues and leaves it to you, the individual reader, to make
your own judgments about "things VF" these days.

Cheers,

- - -Rick '90 '92C

< -- >

Dear Alumni and Friends,

I am writing to you to explain some late developments.

You may be aware that the Valley Forge Military Academy Foundation and
the Valley Forge Military Academy Alumni Association filed suit
against the Old Guard's officers in Federal court on 22 May 2009 for
trademark infringement (Case Nr. 2:2009cv02373). We believe this
lawsuit is about silencing a critic and not trademark infringement.

The Old Guard was founded in October 2007 and the school saw our
Application for 501(c)3 status at that time, was fully aware of our
name, and never raised an objection to our use of the name VALLEY
FORGE OLD GUARD - until now.

The Founders' Old Guard is an independently organized group of alumni
of the Valley Forge Military Academy and College (VFMAC), along with
parents, former parents, former faculty, and former members of the
VFMAC Board of Trustees who are dedicated to preserving and enhancing
the nature, core values, and traditions upon which our Alma Mater was
founded. Members of The Founders' Old Guard seek to actively and
independently advocate for the Academy's welfare, viability, and future.

As you may recall, in a Philadelphia Inquirer article on 23 April, a
school spokesman stated the school was going to sue us, after which we
received several letters from their attorney alleging trademark
infringement. We answered every letter and made a good-faith effort to
address every concern and reach a satisfactory solution with the
school. Our intention has never been to infringe on the school's
trademarks or cause any confusion on the part of the public that we
were a part of VFMA&C. And in fact, we do not believe we have violated
any of the school's rights.

In keeping with our mission and notwithstanding our disagreement with
the basis of their claims, the Old Guard immediately acted to address
their complaints.  With the intent of avoiding costly litigation for
both organizations, which would drain both organizations' precious
resources and distract the parties from the more critical issues
facing the VFMAC, we took the following actions:

- - First, through an emergency Executive Session via teleconference of
the Old Guard's Board of Directors, we discussed and agreed in
principle to change our name to FOUNDERS' OLD GUARD. The school then
objected to this name too, claiming the word FOUNDERS was already in
use on their website.

- - Second, we changed all references to Valley Forge Old Guard on our
website.

- - Third, our homepage contains a prominent disclaimer stating that we
are not part of or associated with VFMA&C or the alumni association.

- - Fourth, we removed the various photos of the school from the
homepage because the school objected to our use of photographs of the
buildings and cadets, claiming they are trademarked. Even though we
believe their objection had no merit, we wanted to avoid a dispute
over this issue so that we could concentrate on our mission to improve
the direction of the school.

The next communication from the school was the lawsuit.

The cost of this meritless litigation will only add to the $1.3
million that has already been spent on legal fees during the McGeorge
administration.

We regret that VFMAC continues to fight rather than embrace the need
to reform its leadership and governance. As a result, we have no
choice but to continue to defend ourself in Federal court and
yesterday filed a motion to dismiss the VFMAC lawsuit.  We will also
continue to post on our website updated VFMAC facts and publicly
available information about the status of VFMAC's affairs.  We invite
you to see for yourself the growth in expenses reported over the last
five years, the decline in contributions during that period and the
increase in the per capita cost of each student.

Pete Robinson, '59 D Troop
Colonel, U.S. Army Retired
President
Founders' Old Guard Inc.
www.foundersoldguard.org
email: info at foundersoldguard.org
The Founders' Old Guard, Inc. is an independent organization. It is
NOT affiliated with sponsored by, or related to The Valley Forge
Military Academy and College or its Alumni Association.