[sticklist] - AABOD Chairman responds to VFOG Petition

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Feb 28 15:23:05 UTC 2009

This just in from the AABOD Chairman.

- -Rick Forno '90 '92C
Sticklist Administrator

< - >

From: 	ndally at erols.com
Subject: 	Chairman's response to VFOG Petition

Date: 	February 28, 2009 9:41:08 AM EST

Mr. Pete Robinson, President of the Old Guard, recently sent out a
petition for the resignation of the President of Valley Forge Military
Academy and College.  In his petition Mr. Robinson has made some
statements that are untrue, exaggerated and inaccurate.

While well meaning, Mr. Robinson and his small group along with others
have caused considerable damage to our Alma Matter while contributing
little or no meaningful benefit to the school. During my most recent
tenure as Chairman of the Board I have witnessed some situations and
actions of my fellow Alumni that I find reprehensible.

I will be the first to admit that all is not right at VF, however
having served in one capacity or another with the Alumni Association
for almost twenty years I observed that the same was true under the
Thunman, Hill, and Long administrations.  Many of the challenges that
the current administration faces were a result of decisions made by
these previous administrations.  Those administrations did not have
the misfortune to have individuals that were slandering them,
maintaining websites that berated them or any of the various
detrimental situations and events perpetrated against this
administration by a few Alumni.

Much of what Mr. Robinson has stated has been covered before and I'm
not going to discuss every point since I have on many occasions,
however I believe that there are a few that should be addressed:

"The McGeorge administration seems to distrust alumni and consistently
refuses advice or valid offers of assistance no matter how sincere the
offer."

Based on the actions of certain Alumni there was mistrust...no
question.  The current AABOD has had to overcome much of this to
establish a workable relationship with the administration. Frankly I
can understand why there was so mistrust.  Mr. Robinson and the VFOG
simply don't understand that you get more done with cooperation that
by being confrontational.

"Vast sums of money have been diverted and squandered on frivolous law
suits designed to keep dissenting alumni from expressing their
opinions of the administration."

I have two words, "Bull S---". The VFOG has created the allegations
that caused this situation.   No one is stopping Alumni from
expressing their opinions, however when those opinions are expressed
in methods and ways that are detrimental to VF then the Administration
and the BOT have a FIDUCARY RESPONSIBILITY to defend the school.

The VFOG says that they raise money for VF and went to the extent of
filing with the IRS for tax exempt status, yet the vast majority of
the funds they have obtained did not go to VF, they went to insurance
and legal fees to protect the officers of VFOG!

"The Alumni Association operates at the pleasure of the Board of
Trustees and the administration; all Alumni Association activities are
vetted and closely monitored by the BOT. Therefore, the AA is severely
restrained in dealing with alumni issues and concerns and has been
reduced to being puppets and propagandists for the administration and
the Board of Trustees."

This is a complete lie!   Nothing could be farther from the truth!
The AABOD operates completely independent from the BOT.   No member of
the BOT has ever told any officers of the AA what they need to do or
asked that we do anything that would make us Puppets of the BOT.   The
AABOD operated independently of the BOT and the Administration.

What Mr. Robinson and the VFOG fail to realize is that to make
progress regarding what the Alumni want (and we have asked) it is
necessary to cooperate with both the administration and the BOT.   Mr.
Robinson and the VFOG, yell, write letters, circulate petitions, go to
the newspapers, rebel-rouse among fellow Alumni, threaten to sabotage
both State and Federal funding, are more interested in Polo ponies
than Cadets, pose no solutions, and get nowhere.   The AABOD officers
devote literally 300-400 combined hours per month to VF, are
constantly on Post, attend numerous events (when were the officers of
the VFOG last on Post for a Cadet event?), cooperate with both the BOT
and Administration and are getting things done for our Cadets and the
Alumni.

Mr. Robinson, you and VFOG certainly are not part of the solution, you
are the problem!

Niles P. Dally '63
Chairman
Valley Forge Military Academy Alumni Association