[sticklist] - The time has come ...

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Dec 21 20:57:56 UTC 2009

Gentlemen --

I encourage all Alumni to read the letter shown below (and/or attached
to this message).

Although I helped write this letter, I am also one to whom it refers.
Therefore (and despite being a Corpsman!) I am publicly announcing a
$1000 restricted gift to the VFMAC Band, to be used at the
Bandmaster's discretion.  This follows a similar gift of $1000 to the
Band made by John '74JC and Susan Rapp earlier today. I am sending the
check to the school, c/o Mr. Bill Floyd '63, Interim President &
Chairman of the VFMAC Board of Trustees, with e-mail notification of
the donation sent to the Bandmaster and Development Office (dspizuoco at vfmac.edu
).

Friday's news of the McGeorge departure represents a significant
milestone toward improving the current VFMAC situation.  Accordingly,
as interested Alumni, we must demonstrate to the Administration,
Trustees, parents, and the public that the Alumni of Valley Forge not
only care about our Alma Mater, but can transform our strong words
into strong action and deliver on our promises as interested Alumni.
Otherwise, the Alumni community will be marginalized and our Alma
Mater will move into the future without our constructive and
collaborative input and involvement.  That must not happen!

This is a watershed moment for our school, and I invite you to join me
in this effort.

Thanks for reading.  Happy Holidays to All!

- Rick Forno '90 '92C
Sticklist Administrator

< begin letter >

Dear Friends,

As all of you now know, Tony McGeorge has departed as President of
Valley Forge Military Academy and College.  His 3+ years were marked
by significant staff turnover, a great deal of anger by Alumni and
others, and a continued decay of the institution that many once
considered the greatest private military academy in the United States.

Many of us have stated that, as long as Tony McGeorge was there, we
would withhold financial support until he left.  He is gone now.  And,
while we do not know what the immediate future holds in terms of his
replacement or the direction of the school, a promise is a promise.
It is a matter of honor now, not only to make good on that pledge of
support, but also to keep Valley Forge available for the next
generation of Alumni.

Resuming financial support also has another, equally important
benefit.  It sends a powerful message to the Board of Trustees and
Alumni Association’s Board of Directors.  While there were repeated
statements from the school that the Tony McGeorge detractors were
merely “a few disgruntled Alumni,” we all know that the reality was,
and is, very different.  Over a thousand Alumni, parents and friends
of Valley Forge have voiced their concerns about Tony’s leadership
this past year.  Since news of his departure broke on Friday morning,
the numerous websites, blogs, private communications, and public
has more than demonstrated that Valley Forge’s Alumni care deeply
about the direction in which their Alma Mater should go.  Thus,
providing the financial support we withheld during those years of
unrest and unhappiness is a tangible demonstration that the Trustees
finally made the right decision.

It also provides another important chance for the collective voice of
Alumni to be heard.  The Board of Trustees, and most especially the
search committee that will identify a new president of Valley Forge,
is clearly on notice.  They no longer have the luxury of making a poor
choice and expecting that Alumni simply will go along with a bad
decision.  The Alumni can be a powerful force, but only if they ensure
that their actions follow their words.  Financial support, either made
or withheld, can be a powerful motivator for a struggling
institution.  Words alone will not drive change or help Valley Forge
endure.

So, as we come to the close not only of this year, but also of an
administration marked by rancor and discord, it is time to think of
the future.  Things at the Forge are far from perfect, but this past
week’s news is a dramatic step towards ensuring the longevity of our
Alma Mater.  We hope that you can join those of us who have made the
decision to renew our financial support to keep this wonderful
institution alive so that, once again, it will be the greatest private
military academy in the United States.

Thank you.

W. Thomas Sykes ’50
Richard F. Forno ’90 ‘92C