[sticklist] - VF targetting ContinentalOnline?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Sep 21 02:59:05 UTC 2008

Reposted from ContinentalOnline as an FYI to the Sticklist.

Cheers,

- - Rick '90 '92C

< - >

From: 	webmaster at continentalonline.org
Subject: Announcement
Date: 	September 20, 2008 10:28:17 PM EDT

Dear Friends,

As you know, ContinentalOnLine is the premier source of independent
interaction between the Alumni and friends of Valley Forge Military
Academy and College (VFMAC).  It has no official association with or
endorsement by VFMAC.

It is our sad duty to inform you that in recent days, a member of
ContinentalOnLine has been the target of what can best be described as
personal and professional intimidation as the result of involvement
with our website during the work day and expressing personal opinions
in our discussion forums.  An individual who represented himself as a
high-ranking member of the VF administration contacted the member's
employer to suggest that legal action would be taken against the
employer if they did not address this matter within the workplace --
which resulted in a difficult and painful time for the member, both
personally and professionally.

Such vindictive activities, which appear to have originated from the
incumbent leadership at our beloved Alma Mater, are most disturbing --
especially from an institution whose proud graduates cherish words
like "courage" and perhaps most importantly, "honor."

We recognize the trusted role we serve as a source of independent
interaction among our members on items of interest or importance.  We
will NOT allow the discussions on ContinentalOnLine to be exploited by
anyone in an attempt to intimidate or sanction its members for what is
posted as their own opinion and/or other form of protected speech on
the website discussion forums. Therefore, as a precautionary measure
to protect legitimate users of ContinentalOnLine, we have removed
VFMAC employees from the ContinentalOnLine membership roster and
prohibited access to our forums from any computer originating on the
VFMAC network.

We will not be intimidated by this situation and are dismayed that in
spite of ContinentalOnLine's numerous successful volunteer projects in
support of Cadets and school (e.g., large library book donations, new
Choir Robes) the Administration has apparently chosen to act in the
manner it has against our members. Through our efforts at
ContinentalOnLine, we believe that we have gained your trust over the
past two years and continue to appreciate your participation in our
site and in our projects intended to enhance the Cadet experience at
Valley Forge. To that end, we ask that you continue to participate
freely in our discussions, network with your fellow Alumni, and not
feel threatened by the dishonorable tactics employed by those who seem
to fear everything outside their purview and scope of authority. Rest
assured, we will continue to monitor the situation and keep you
informed accordingly.

Thanks very much.

- - The ContinentalOnLine Staff