[sticklist] - 2008 Homecoming Committee Report

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jan 29 13:27:01 UTC 2008

Gentlemen -- to followup on previous Committee reports posted to the
Sticklist in recent weeks, here is the Committee Report for the Homecoming
Committee.

Before getting to the report, it is with regret that AABOD President John
Rapp informs the alumni community that the Homecoming Committee Chair, Bill
Smith '61C has resigned from the AABOD and also as Chair of Homecoming
2008.  However, during the Executive Meeting of the AABOD on 26 Jan 2008,
Walt Mosetter '77C, Art Lambert '60C, and Bill Gans '61C have volunteered
to help Frank Spano '01C (the new VF Manager of Alumni) to pull things
together as best they can.....all will be working to make this Homecoming
as good as it can be.

Cheers,

- -Rick '90 '92C

< - >

HOMECOMING 2008 REPORT

This year many alumni expressed a desire to hold the Saturday night
function off post as it was in the past. I researched this with interviews
of three locations. In each, the base cost was very high in that we are not
able to accurately predict the attendance. Thus we decided to remain in
Mellon Hall.

I did receive a breakdown of cost from last year. However, there is little
back up of detailed expense incurred.  All income was put together. By this
I mean that it is not possible to determine those areas that were
profitable or where a loss was incurred. A spreadsheet was prepared for
use, but was never completed by the Alumni Representative.

During Alumni Association discussions it was determined:

1.    That gambling did not return a significant return and that we would
not have gambling this year.
2.    That the 50-50 was not profitable. I did the 50-50 in which we earned
about $300.00. We will continue this year.
3.    A small silent auction in conjunction with a small live auction
should and will be undertaken this year.
4.    The Sara Crawford Room will be used for cocktails and a reception
area. Many alumni like to have a quiet place to sit and talk.
5.    Per Ann Sinatra, the school will contribute to reduce the cost in
that homecoming ties in with fund raising. The amount has not been
determined.

Many Alumni on and off post would like the second mess/luncheon on Saturday
to return to the Mess Hall. This gives them a feeling of the past and is
close to Price Hall for the band concert. There will be two buffet lines
and tables will be reserved for class year recognition. This has been
reviewed and approved with Sodexho. The price will be less than having the
event in Eisenhower Hall.

The 50th Class will have a private cocktail reception at Crossed Sabres and
them dinner in Eisenhower Hall.

It is recommended that the Saturday Musical Ride be presented just prior to
the Regimental Review. The reason being that when held in the morning there
are very few in attendance to witness the ride. Also, that it be a
³Ride² not an abbreviated polo match.

Many of the above comments were discussed at the varies Alumni Association
meetings but are not on record in that the acting Alumni Representative was
not in attendance to record the minutes as is his function.

The same band as last year will at Mellon Hall on Saturday night.

Sodexho has agreed to keep all prices the same as last year.

Sodexho expressed a concern as to the consumption of liquor Friday and
Saturday nights.

That some Alumni drink to much and how to control same --  A suggestion was
made to give out tickets and once they are gone, the Alumni can purchase
addition drink tickets.

I expressed a plan to both Sodexhe and a representative of the
administration as follows:

            1. As per the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Liquor Control
Board, the final responsibility of determining when a customer has to be
cut off is with the bartender.
            2. That being said, there must be a representative, on the
spot, from the school/homecoming committee available to act upon the
bartenders decision.
            3. The suggestion about addition tickets is not viable. The
school does not have a license to serve liquor, we may give it away but it
is a violation of the law to charge. This can lead to enormous liability
issues. In fact it is not legal to raffle off a ³Basket of Cheer².
            4. Bartenders can handle potential problems by pouring short
drinks.
            5. This has not been a major problem in the past when handled
properly.