[sticklist] - Update from AABOD President John Rapp

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Nov 16 12:34:23 UTC 2007

Dear Fellow Alumni,

I would like to update you on some recent events sponsored by the Alumni
Association.

First, the Tactical Officers Dinner, which is an annual event, was held on
18 October at the Kimberton Inn, Kimberton, PA. Twelve Tactical Officers
and ten Alumni attended. Dinners for the Tac Officers were covered by
donations from many of you; thanks for your very generous support. It was a
wonderful evening of camaraderie. COL Medearis Œ66, Commandant of Cadets,
told me that this was the best event that he has attended as a Tactical
Officer. I want to thank everyone involved in making the evening a success,
especially Al Heyer, Chairman of the Forge Way Committee and Bill Smith,
who assisted Al in the planning.

The second event sponsored by the Alumni Association was the annual Career
Day Conference, which was held on 15 November. Art Lambert and Robert
Shapiro co-chaired this event. They invited Alumni from the mid-Atlantic
region to come and talk to cadets about their chosen careers. The entire
Academy, including the Middle School, attended the seminars. This year,
there were three scheduled periods for the Cadets to attend. The day began
with a demonstration of a K9 unit from Upper Darby, PA. The reviews from
the Cadets and even the participants are coming in, but I can say from my
perspective that it was a great success. Though it was pouring rain, even
the Second Mess Formation on the Main Area was uplifting and certainly did
not ³dampen² the spirits of the presenters or the Cadets.

Following Second Mess Formation, a luncheon for the Alumni presenters was
held in Eisenhower Hall. At that time, a check was presented to COL
Lorusso, Director of Athletics. The check was a gift of several Alumni for
new uniforms for the wrestling team. Peter Gioe was instrumental in raising
$1589 by contacting Alumni who saw the need for this gift.  On behalf of
the Alumni Association and all Alumni, I thank Peter for his help in this
project and to the donors who supported the effort.

Finally, there is the ongoing Lafayette Hall Latrine project. While the
school mentioned they will start the project this year, they have done so
by using a loan to get underway. This fundraising project was initiated by
Walt Mosetter during Alumni Weekend 2007.  Support is still needed to
complete the project and pay off this loan. Remember, we doing this for the
cadets.  Please help our future Alumni by making a donation to the
Lafayette Hall Latrine Fund. All contributions will be placed in a
restricted account and will only be used for this project.

The Alumni Association¹s activities cannot happen without the time and
effort of all of us.  I thank you for any time that you can spare to assist
the Alumni Association to strengthen our bonds as Alumni and support
activities that help the cadets, our future Alumni.

Courage, Honor, Conquer

John R. Rapp, Œ74JC
President, Alumni Association