[sticklist] - Jack Wyatt report on recent VF visit

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Nov 12 15:07:18 UTC 2007

As you know, Jack is Past Chairman and President, VFMA&C Alumni
Association, and a recently-resigned VF Trustee.........rick '90 '92C.

From: Jack Wyatt <jackwyatt at msn.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:35:25 -0500

This is just some information and a few observations that I wanted to
share.  I had the opportunity to visit VF yesterday (11/11).  First time in
several months  It was a pretty day, we had nothing to do so why not?

I didn't realize it until I got there but it was Grandparent's Day at VF
and the joint was jumping.  There was a brunch in Mellon Hall for the
visitors and their cadets which was followed by the regular Sunday chapel
service and then a Regimental Review.

I have to say, in all honesty, that I haven't been this impressed with the
activities at VF in some time.  Let me elaborate:
* I saw neat, respectful and courteous cadets with  smiling faces
* I saw happy grandparents and parents enjoying the  moment
* As always, COL Jim Doyle, the Superintendent and  his wife, Elaine made
me feel very welcome.
* I had a great visit with CDR Rod Hill, the Interim  Dean of The Academy.
He is a really good guy and very excited about what  is happening for the
cadets in the Academy.
* I saw the ever present Lini Stevens making  things happen and creating
another extremely successful special event at  VF
* I attended a chapel service right out of the Cadet  Hymnal just like "it
used to be".  It was great!
* There was an added special insertion into the  service honoring America's
veterans on Veteran's Day that was very well done  and very appropriate for
the occasion.  A bit of trivia - it was 56 years  ago yesterday,
(11/11/51), that General George C. Marshall (Army  Chief of Staff and WWII
leader) visited Valley Forge and dedicated our Chapel  of St. Cornelius The
Centurion.  I remember the day.  It was the  first formal parade I marched
in as a cadet.  51-52 was my plebe  year.
* I heard a very good and pertinent sermon by one of  the current cadet's
grandfather  (His other grandson graduated from VF  last year and is now at
the US Naval Academy)
* The Regimental Review was spectacular!  Some  of the highlights (in my
opinion):

> * We have returned to the US Marine Corps sabre  drill
> * We have returned to the US Army FM22-5  drill and ceremonies movements
> * We have returned to US military commands with a  couple of minor
> exceptions  * The color guard was where it is supposed to be,  in the
> middle of the  regiment
> * The Regimental Band was featured, it led the  parade and played the
> whole  time  The band's "Sound Off" was  spectacular.  The D&B Corps was
> secondary  during the parade and  looked very good.
> * The Regimental Band sounded great to me.   (I was a Trooper, so what do
> I  know?)  Wish it was bigger
> * The Commandant and Tactical Officers made up the  back staff on the
> reviewing stand
> * The Corps (albeit small) looked absolutely great  when they passed in
> review!  (Of course D Troop won "Best Line", at  least in my mind.)
> * Cadet 1st Captain Kevin Fulmer should be  complimented on the
> appearance and  performance of the Corps.

I think we owe a lot to COL Tom Medearis, the Commandant of Cadets for
bringing back 99% of the ceremonial traditions, that we all cherished over
the years and that have been lost in the shuffle over the last few years.

One new tradition that I noticed is that cadets are now permitted to sit
with their parents or guests during chapel.  Cadets without visitors in
attendance still parade into chapel and sit with the Corps.  I think this
is a great idea.  Wish they had done that when I was there.

Another great new tradition is "Brutus", an ugly, affectionate bulldog who
is the Corps' new mascot.  He is a wonderful addition to VF.  I must say
that Brutus has a little ways to go to earn his cap shield.  His behavior
at the parade with the canon, drums, horses and other noises, left a little
to be desired.  I have a feeling that the 1st Captain will whip him into
shape pretty quickly.  He is truly a great addition to the "Esprit Of
Corps".

We need to remember that new traditions are being created every year and
become just as important as the traditions that us old guys remember.

There are good things happening at Valley Forge and the school needs our
support, help and encouragement.  Tom Medearis, Phil Evans, Rod Hill, Lini
Stevens and others, can't do it alone.

Now what we need is a successful development program and more "cadets in
the beds".

Have A Great Day!

Jack Wyatt, '57
Past Chairman and President, VFMA&C Alumni Association
Former Member, VFMA Foundation Board of Trustees